Thursday, September 23, 2021

 A DAY OFF

Last Saturday was a special temple day for the women of the Milano Stake.  As a result, they didn't need all of the men temple workers.  So while Chris was working I went into the Roma center.  I had about six things I had planned to see there...and in the end I saw all TWELVE of them!!!  Usually we have to wait for the city bus to arrive, but the '435' and I both got to the bus stop in front of the temple at the same instant.  The transfer to the 'B' metro line at Jonio was also quick.  So within only about 35 minutes, I was standing in the nave of the Santa Maria Maggiore Basilica, my first stop of the day.  By about 3 pm and after over 10 miles of walking, I had managed to see all of the following:  Santa Maria Maggiore / Santa Prudenziana / Santa Prassede / The Naiad Fountain at Repubblica / Santa Maria Degli Angeli e dei Martiri in the Baths of Diocletian / The Moses Fountain by Santa Maria Della Vittoria (closed until October) / San Bernado Chiesa / San Carlino (The Boromini Church that influenced the design of the Rome Temple) / Fontana del Tritone at Barberini / Pietro Canonica Museum & Studio in the Borghese Gardens / Carlo Bilotti Museum / Piazza del Popolo / Spainish Steps at Piazza del Spagna.  I also passed by the Canova Tadolini Restaurant located in the former studio of these two great sculptors, a restaurant that is filled with casts of their works.

From Spagna I hopped back on the Metro and with my tired feet went back home.  My only real mistake of the day was not watching closely to tell the bus driver when I wanted off!  So instead of getting off right in front of the temple, I had to ride to the Porta di Roma Mall and walk about 15 minutes back.  Just what my feet needed.  But I can't complain about this amazing day.

Santa Maria Maggiore



Mosaic from Santa Prudenziana




Apse of Santa Prassede


San Carlino



Pietro Cononica Studio and Museum


Piazza del Spagna

Canova Tadolini Restaurant




No comments:

Post a Comment